Each year at the Adams Benefit, the BBF presents its Public Service Award to a business or civic leader who has shown exemplary leadership in community service and philanthropy. The award not only acknowledges the personal civic leadership of the honoree, but also seeks to recognize socially responsible corporate practices.
Recent BBF Public Service Award recipients have included:
- Carol Fulp (2013), President and CEO of The Partnership
- Paul Grogan (2012), President and CEO of The Boston Foundation
- John Fish (2011), Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Suffolk Construction Company, Inc.
- Citizens Bank (2010)
- James G. Keefe and Patrick A.T. Lee (2009), President and Vice President of Trinity Financial
- Paul Guzzi (2007), President & Chief Executive Officer Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce
- Jack Connors, Jr. (2006), Chairman of Hill Holliday Connors and Cosmopulos
- The Boston Red Sox & the Boston Red Sox Foundation (2005)
- William C. Van Faasen (2004), Chairman and CEO of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- Edward C. Johnson, 3d (2003), Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Fidelity Investments
- Jeffrey Swartz (2002), President and CEO of Timberland
- Teresa Heinz (2001), Chair, Heinz Family Philanthropies
Other prior Public Service Award recipients include: Richard S. Scipione, General Counsel of John Hancock; David B. Perini, Chairman of Perini Corporation; Wayne A. Budd, Chairman of Bell Atlantic; John P. Hamill, President of Fleet Bank; and Senator Edward M. Kennedy.