The Task Force
The BBA Statewide Task Force to Expand Civil Legal Aid in Massachusetts was created by then-President J.D. Smeallie in 2013 to examine civil legal aid in MA and identify ways to improve the system. The Task Force was composed of lawyers of a variety of practice areas and backgrounds, members of academia, business leaders, representatives from all three branches of government and independent economic consultants.
The Task Force focused its 18 month study on three key areas of need, evictions and foreclosures, domestic violence, and federal economic benefits. The study involved intense data gathering, surveys of legal service agencies and courts, and interviews with clients and legal service employers.
Thank you to the members of our Task Force who dedicated their time:
J.D. Smeallie - Partner, Holland & Knight; President, Boston Bar Association
- Susan Alexander- Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer, Biogen Idec Inc.
- Lawrence Bacow- President Emeritus, Tufts University
- Christopher Barry-Smith- Deputy Attorney General of Massachusetts
- Manisha Bhatt- Senior Attorney, Greater Boston Legal Services
- Jonathan Chiel- Executive Vice President and General Counsel, Fidelity Management and Research Corporation Legal Department
- Martha Coakley- Attorney General of Massachusetts
- Katherine Cook- Chief Legal Counsel, Office of the Governor
- Paul Dacier- Executive Vice President and General Counsel, EMC Corporation; President-Elect, Boston Bar Association
- Lawrence DiCara- Partner, Nixon Peabody LLP
- Russell Engler- Professor of Law, New England Law | Boston
- Representative John V. Fernandes- State Representative, Massachusetts House of Representatives
- Robert Holloway- President, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Sheila Hubbard- Executive Director, Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association
- James C. Kennedy- Chief Legal Counsel, Massachusetts House of Representatives
- Joan Lukey- Partner, Ropes & Gray
- Judge Richard McMahon- Associate Justice, Probate and Family Court, Bristol County
- Martha Minow- Dean, Harvard Law School
- Alice Moore-Counsel , Massachusetts Senate
- Susan Murley- Co-Managing Partner, Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP
- Joseph Nauman- Senior Vice President and General Counsel, Acushnet Company
- Lon Povich- General Counsel, BJ’s Wholesale Club
- Lonnie Powers- Executive Director, Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC)
- Mary Puma- Chief Executive Officer, Axcelis Technologies
- Faye Rachlin- Deputy Director, Community Legal Aid
- Elizabeth Soule- Executive Director, MetroWest Legal Services
- Veronica Turner- Executive Vice President, 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East in Massachusetts
- Judge David Weingarten- First Justice, Boston Municipal Court, Roxbury Division
- James T. Welch- State Senator (D), West Springfield
BBA President J.D. Smeallie with Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Judiciary Ralph Gants and Chief Judge of the New York Court of Appeals Jonathan Lippman.
Please contact Michael Avitzur at email@example.com if you have any questions related to the BBA Statewide Task Force to Expand Civil Legal Aid in Massachusetts.