BY JUDGE KARYN SCHEIER
The Massachusetts Land Court was created by the Legislature as the “Court of Registration” in 1898. Chief Justice Leonard A. Jones, along with one associate justice, Recorder, Chief Engineer, and a small staff administered the Torrens System of Land Registration throughout the Commonwealth from one room of the Tremont Building, at the corner of Beacon and Tremont Streets. One hundred thirteen years and five moves later, the Land Court sits in the “New” Courthouse at Three Pemberton Square, steps from its original location. Chief Justice Jones would recognize little from the court’s beginnings in the 21st century Land Court: Seven judges, a staff of forty-five, three and one-half floors of the courthouse, an enormously expanded jurisdiction, and computer technology embedded in every aspect of our operation. Read the Entire Article.