Please Note: This event has already taken place.
Canadian Copyright Law in Evolution: What US Practitioners Need to Know
Monday, May 19, 2014
12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
Boston Bar Association - 16 Beacon Street, Boston, MA
Canadian copyright law is changing. In the past two years, a new act was
adopted, introducing many controversial new provisions, and the Supreme Court of
Canada rendered 6 important decisions. Yes, 2012-2013 were big years. For better
and for worse. Attorney Lamothe-Samson will discuss what every US practitioner
should know about Canadian copyright law, while drawing parallels and
distinctions with US copyright law. Topics include:
- What is the new “making available right”?
- How does “fair use” translate in Canadian law?
- Is there liability for secondary infringement?
- How are statutory damages calculated?
- What is the liability regime for ISPs?
- How does the law address private copying and user-generated
- Madeleine Lamothe-Samson
- Norton Rose Fulbright Canada
BBA Event Calendar