Please Note: This event has already taken place.
Counseling the J-1 Exchange Visitor
Thursday, March 22, 2012
12:00 PM to 1:30 PM
Boston Bar Association - 16 Beacon Street, Boston, MA
The Exchange Visitor Program promotes mutual understanding between the people
of the United States (U.S.) and the people of other countries by educational and
cultural exchanges, under the provisions of U.S. law. A number of issues unique
to this status must be considered when you are consulted by a current or former
Exchange Visitor who is seeking to remain in the U.S.
- Sec. 212(e): the foreign residence requirement (Skills List, government
financing, medical doctors)
- Which country matters? citizenship or residence?
- Which Skills List? 1997 or 2009?
- Determining the correct “field of study” or activity in the U.S.
- What constitutes compliance?
- Advisory Opinions
- If subject, what options are blocked (LPR, H, and L)
- Options still available (O-1, F-1, B, etc.)
- Brief overview of waiver possibilities:
- No Objection Statements
- US Government Agency requests
- Extreme hardship to US Family Members
- Fear of Persecution
BBA Event Calendar